Court throws out case after 50 adjournments

THE Accra Circuit Court threw out a case in which two people have been charged with robbery.

The court, presided over by Mr Francis Obiri, took the decision after the case had been adjourned for more than 50 times as a result of the failure of the prosecution to produce the complainants in the case—Benjamin Nii Boi Tagoe, Eddy Kwadwo Mensah, Emmanuel Kawsivi Tsadi, Michael Appiah and Nana Osei Bonsu, who are all residents of Dansoman and key witnesses.

Mr Obiri before dismissing the case, which had been before the court since September 4, 2012, said if the complainants brought the case against the accused persons could not make themselves available, there was no need continuing adjourning the case.

Although the prosecution had asked for another adjournment to bring the complainants, the judge flashed a smile, shook his head and asked “to make it the 51st adjournment?”
The question induced a long laughter from onlookers in the court.

The Facts
The facts of the case, the Daily Graphic got from the court documents, are that at 10pm on August 31, 2012, the complainants were browsing the internet at Allied Media Services café at Tunga, a neighbourhood in Dansoman, when the accused persons Sadat Anul Musah alias Under and  and Nasiru Mohammed Tanko alias T.K , both unemployed, entered the internet café with a Coca Cola bottle.

While inside the room, Musah was alleged to have broken the bottle, pointed it at the complainants and ordered all of them to move to one corner of the café or risk being butchered to death with the broken bottle.

Sensing danger, the complainants moved to the corner pointed to them.

According to the prosecutor, Musah then collected five mobile phones and a Dell laptop from the complainants and also broke a drawer in which the café attendant kept the daily account and took away GH¢300.

Musah handed the item over to Tanko before both of them took to their heels. The complainants, however, gathered courage and raised alarm for help.

With the assistance of some good Samaritans in the neighbourhood, Musah was arrested and handed over to the police,while Tanko managed to escape with the items.

During investigations, Musah led the police to Tanko’s hideout at Adabraka, where he was arrested.
The two accused persons allegedly admitted the offences in their caution statements.         


Popular posts from this blog

Need an Auto Loan? Monday, April 2, 2012, pg 20

Spiritual healers, men of God take over billboards, Monday, September 17, 2012, pg 32